Thursday, February 09, 2006

Refurbished 12" PowerBook

My new refurbished 12" PowerBook showed up tonight. I was really excited until I opened the box. Than a little bit a dissapointment set in.

Firstly, I found out that 12" PowerBooks do not have backlit keyboards. Grant it, this is not a major issue, but it was something that I really enjoyed having on my 17" PBook. I thought "Oh, Sh!t" when I looked on the F9, F10, and F11 keys and didn't see the symbols denoting "more light", "less light", and "backlite on/off". I thought I got gipped on not getting the latest Rev 12", but I searched the Apple Support discussions boards and found another guy asking about the keyboards on the smaller PowerBooks.

The biggest dissapointment, by far, is not getting Mac OS X Tiger. The computer came installed with Mac OS X 10.3.7. This is a major downer. I'm used to all the functionalit that Tiger has - specifically Spotlight. Safari is a little bit of a downer when I can not use Tabs to help my browsing. So even though I saved quite a bit of money on the hardware (and at this point I'm assuming that I did get the latest hardwar) I'm going to have to go out and buy Tiger for $129 USD. I was going to use that money to max out the RAM.

I briefly looked over the cosmetic details of the book when I took it out of the box (it did not come in a brand new apple box, but a brown corrugated cardboard box labeled with "Apple Reconditioned Product". I don't think I saw anything wrong with it, but I'll make sure to do a once over on it again tomorrow - in direct sunlight.

Despite the loss of an illuminated keyboard and Tiger (which I'll upgrade tomorrow), I think I'm happy with my new smaller, lighter PowerBook.

I'll post some pictures soon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home